I made 3D hedgehog macarons years ago as one of my early experiments creating 3D macaron shells in 2017, for a client in 2018 and as an entry in my Macaron Basics book in 2018. I decided to give it a makeover and this was what I came up with!
This was a personal project that I did to satisfy my curiosity on a number of things:
1. Using ultra low fat cocoa powder (<1%) for making macaron shells
2. Revisiting my hedgehog macaron design with the following tweaks to the design-- 1) giving the hedgehogs little stubby feet. 2) Changing the quills to textured macaron batter from barely macaronaged batter. 3) Trying to see if I can create the snout out of "gravity-defying" macaron batter to make the little upturned noses more endearing
3. Challenging myself to see if it can all work with a reduced-sugar recipe (I was questioning the wisdom of this halfway through working it as I could tell the meringue is less stable and batter was deflating with time. It also resulted in a tray of exploded shells during baking but with more careful management of subsequent trays from the same batch of batter, it's all good!)
I filled the macaron shells with pistachio Swiss meringue buttercream and strawberry jelly. I made the pistachio butter and strawberry jam (reduced sugar) from scratch.
The hemispherical shape of the top shell was created by piping on silicone hemispherical mold.
See the reel of the process and recipe over here:
https://www.instagram.com/reel/Da9B2mAS2-K/?igsh=MXYweXJzZXcyaHhjNg==
with love,
Phay Shing




No comments:
Post a Comment