Thursday 29 August 2024

Apple Earl Grey Apple Macarons

Happy Teacher's Day to all teachers! Thank you for your hard work! I didn't have time to make a teacher's day special bake so this unplanned bake came at the right time! This unplanned bake happened because I had leftover batter from an epic project that was sitting in the piping bag for 4 hours. Presenting my apple macarons filled with apple Earl Grey ganache and apple jam filling! The ganache is dairy-free and temperature stable in tropical Singapore's non-airconditioned room temperatures.


I used my default Swiss meringue method recipe where the egg whites are split into whipped and unwhipped portions to give a smoother finish on the surface. Really pleased that despite leaving out the batter for long, the macaron shells are still full, smooth and have even feet!

Even the stems and leaves were made from leftover batter too and of a different color. The stems were made from leftover grey batter with cocoa powder and cornstarch added. I added the cornstarch to thicken the batter some more to give the stems a little texture. The leaves were made from leftover beige batter coloured with green gel colouring.


The apple jam is actually what I use for making zephyrs (agar-based marshmallows). Since this bake was unplanned, I just used the same apple jam for filling the macarons as I am preparing for a marshmallow bake soon.



Proper technique and attention to detail during the process is so important and that's what I teach in my classes. It's not simply about following a recipe as we all work with different equipment and conditions.

See my reel for the filling recipe and video tutorial of the process:

https://www.instagram.com/reel/C_Nl4M-S_cA/?igsh=cWsxbWNrMXRvbmty


with love,

Phay Shing

No comments:

Post a Comment