Sunday 7 December 2014

Elmo Pandan Chiffon Cake


This is the song, la la la la, Elmo’s song!

Ah who can forget this super cute song and this favourite character from sesame street! It was my favorite character back when I was a little kid in kindergarten. Few decades later, it was such a dream I get to bake my childhood fave! My friend exclaimed that the elmo chiffon cake looked like a soft toy hehehe :).

It is not as easy to get the fluffy outline of the elmo face without using cream and or an elmo cake mold. So it was rather tedious to cut out the outline from a strawberry chiffon cake baked in an oval glass bowl. The rest of the facial features were baked in a variety of ‘containers’. The pop-up eyes from baking chiffon cake in my cake pop maker (top left pic in collage), the oval pop-out nose from an egg (top right pic in collage), and the mouth cut from charcoal chiffon cake baked in a 6-inch tray. The base cake is my all-time pandan chiffon cake coloured naturally with pandan juice and paste (bottom left pic in collage). For the recipes, you may like to go to my previous post Olaf in Summar Pandan Chiffon Cake which has details on how to bake the base pandan chiffon cake as well as the chiffon cake in the different 'containers'. And I hid some colourful marshmallows under the elmo face (bottom right pic) :).




I made the effort to use blue pea flowers to make the coloring for letters/numbers hence the blue color is less vibrant (please refer to my Blue Pea Flower Chiffon Cake), though I realized it’s a lot of work for a small detail :p. I used alphabet cutters to cut them out from chiffon cake baked as layers in 6-inch trays. You can then stick them on using melted marshmallows or cream.

La la la la, la la la la, Elmo's song! 


Thank God my friend shared the kids loved the cake and the birthday boy ate it! =)

With lots of love,
Susanne 

2 comments:

  1. May i know what type of knife can use to cut out the elmo face?

    ReplyDelete