Friday 3 July 2020

Macaron Dessert Box with Strawberries n Cream Cake

I made this sweet looking macaron dessert box with strawberries n cream cake for a mother and daughter's combined birthday celebration!


You can't see the goodies in the cake because it is covered with swiss meringue buttercream but inside is actually made up of vanilla chiffon sponge, fresh strawberries and a mixture of non-dairy and dairy whipped cream. What you can see, is a feminine looking purple box made entirely out of macarons, and the box is filled with all kinds of sweet food made up of macarons too.

I used the swiss meringue method for making the macarons.

Just to share some photos...

Piping the desserts. I used chocolate rice, and hundreds and thousands to add on the sprinkles

Piping the panels and base of the box. I pipe extra piece just in case of damage 

I filled the macarons with strawberry white chocolate buttercream. Recipe can be found in this post

I decorated and assembled the box using royal icing

Box filled with dessert! 

You may refer to this post for the vanilla chiffon cake recipe and assembly steps, this post for the modified fresh cream filling for better stability and this post for the swiss meringue buttercream recipe. I coloured and flavoured a small portion of buttercream with strawberry paste.

Assembling the layers

Frosted the cake with plain vanilla and strawberry flavoured swiss meringue buttercream

You may notice that my swiss meringue buttercream doesn't contain too much sugar so it is not too sweet but it is still stable enough to work with in a hot kitchen at 28-31°C.

Because the cake is soft, I had to insert dowels (I just use jumbo straws) and place the macaron box on another cakeboard, such that the cake doesn't bear the weight of the macarons.

Thank God both macarons and cake were really well received!

With love,
Phay Shing

1 comment: