Monday 15 April 2019

Ladybug, Beetle and Spider Coffee Macarons

Sometimes I get unusual requests and this is one of them. Bug themed macarons. Filled with coffee flavoured filling. For a kid 😱. I go 😱 because there are more parents being concerned about feeding kids tea flavoured bakes from me because of the caffeine content but this kid wants coffee! Anyway I am using decaffeinated coffee here so there's the flavour but without the high caffeine content 😆. I gave my own take on what bug macarons should look like. Proper roundish bug shaped of course, made using hemispherical macaron shells!


These macarons were made concurrently with those for a cake topper. I used a reduced-sugar Swiss method recipe for this. Ingredient list for the reduced-sugar Swiss method recipe can be found here and the detailed steps can be found here. In order to create the hemispheres, I use an upturned silicone mould.

It's a little tricky to pipe on a curved surface but definitely doable. I have used this to make teacups and many other designs.

You may refer to this post on how to pipe on a curved surface. I have a video tutorial in there.

I decorated the macaron shells using royal icing to make them look more bug-like.

I used modelling dark chocolate for the apider’s legs so it's not in the picture

I made my own modelling dark chocolate. You may refer to this post for the instructions.

Feel free to scale up or down the recipe for the filling below.

Recipe for coffee white chocolate whipped ganache
Ingredients:
75g white chocolate, finely chopped
37g unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
37g heavy cream
2tsp instant coffee powder
1tsp Kahlua coffee liqueur (optional if unavailable but adds that extra coffee kick)
1/8 tsp salt

Steps:
1. Heat heavy cream in a small microwaveable until hot. Dissolve coffee powder in it.

2. Add butter and white chocolate and mix well. Heat in microwave oven at medium power for 10 seconds. Mix well. Repeat heating and mixing as necessary until everything is smooth and melted. Alternatively, you may use the stove for this. Be careful not to overheat the chocolate.

3. Add salt and coffee liqueur and mix well. Chill until you are able to scoop it out like ice cream. About 15-30min.

4. Whip by hand using spatula or use an electric mixer to beat until light, smooth and fluffy.

5. Transfer to piping bag and fill the macaron shells. Let the assembled macarons rest in the fridge for at least 24h in airtight container before consuming.


Filling the hemisphere with coffee ganache!

With love,
Phay Shing

4 comments:

  1. Its really helpful for me, awaiting for more new post. Keep Blogging!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post.It is my favourite .I like this. Thanks for sharing with your great information....We are providing the professional high-quality and cheap price at image manipulation,,,you can visit my website image manipulation service . Thanks again

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey it just awesome. I really enjoyed reading this recipe of best organic coffee and will definitely try it. Thanks buddy :)

    ReplyDelete