Friday, 2 October 2026

Apple Black Tea Chiffon Cake "Apples" II

 It's been some time since I last made these but it's the first time I made a video tutorial of how it's done!


When I made my first chiffon cake "apples" back in 2014, it amazed many people because no one had ever seen anything like it before! I managed to take some photos of the process of piping the batter in the blog post over here but didn't manage to share any videos of it as I very rarely took videos back then.

I made the apples again but with filling inside for my dad's and uncle's birthdays in 2021. And again, no videos taken because I wanted to focus on making the cakes. People asked about videos and I had to say sorry I didn't take it. 

Now that I have a regular client asking me to make a cake like this for her, I took the chance to do a proper documentation of the process.

You can see the process reel and recipe over here:


Chiffon sponge:
(Note that this is the smallest unit so scale accordingly. It's recommended that you don't make huge batches as the chiffon meringue/batter will start to deflate if you take too long to pipe & marble the batter.)

15g apple spiced black tea*
10g oil
Pinch of salt
18g cake flour 
1/16 tsp cinnamon powder 
1/16 tsp black tea powder
1/4 tsp vanilla extract
1 large egg, separated
1/8 tsp cream of tartar
15-20g caster sugar
1/32 tsp red powder/red gel coloring
1-2 drops yellow gel colouring 

* Apple spiced black tea:
1 apple, peeled & grated 
480g water 
1/4 tsp cinnamon powder
1/16 tsp ginger powder 
3g black tea powder (or 3 teabags of black tea)

Cinnamon sticks cut to size for stems



Here's a peek at the cake after shaping it but before inserting the cinnamon stick stem


These apples are meant as cake toppers to decorate a layered cake complete with apple black tea diplomat cream, poached apples and apple spiced black tea jelly. Keep a lookout for it in the future!


with love,

Phay Shing

No comments:

Post a Comment