Monday 17 January 2022

'Ox Welcoming Tiger' Yuzu Mango Matcha Macarons

This was an unplanned bake that had to be made because it stuck in my head and I needed to get it out of my system😅. Last year I made an impromptu bake of "Rat welcoming the Year of the Ox" macarons. This year I thought of making something with similar theme but in 3D form. So here's my version of this year's "Ox welcoming the Year of the Tiger"! 


A closer look at the Ox without the cart. 

Of course I had to test out the cart to make sure it works... 


What was really stuck in my head was this that I had to get out of my system... 


I broke down the baking into 3 separate sessions since this was unplanned. The red macaron shells for the new year greeting was baked with batter for my teacup macaron class using Swiss meringue method. The cart was made using French method and the ox and tigers were made using swiss method. The cart and animal macaron shells are lightly mango flavoured and filled with a new flavour I was testing out: yuzu mango matcha! I was inspired by the full leaf yuzu green tea I drank and the mention of this flavour in one of the baking contest shows I watched. 

The quantities of each component can be tweaked according to preference. I needed something firmer and not too intensely green so I went easy on the matcha and used less wet ingredients. You may use more yuzu juice or mango compote instead of brewed green tea like I did. I was trying to get more tea flavour without the colour. Feel free to up size the portion as this is a small portion. 


Yuzu mango matcha ganache 

Ingredients:

60g White chocolate, finely chopped or use chips 

10g Concentrated brewed green tea (made from 35g hot water and 3 teabags steeped for 20min)

4g 100% yuzu juice concentrate

1/2 tsp freeze-dried mango powder

1/4 tsp matcha powder

6g unsalted butter 

Steps:

1. Place everything in microwave safe bowl. Use medium-low power to heat for 10 seconds and stir. Repeat heating and stirring until mixture is homogeneous and melted. Alternatively you may use the double boiling method. 

2. Leave it at aircon room temperature to set until toothpaste consistency. Whip it up to lighten texture if you wish. 

3. Transfer to piping bag and fill the macarons. Let thr macarons mature at room temperature or in fridge for at least 24h before consuming. 


With love, 

Phay Shing

No comments:

Post a Comment