Tuesday 15 January 2019

Rainbow Unicorn Vanilla Choux Pastry

You have seen unicorn of just about everything under the sun in the baking arena. But have you seen a rainbow unicorn made out of Choux pastry like this 😉?

I love the cross-section view revealing the smooth and creamy vanilla pastry cream and nicely hemispherical cavity!

As you all know by now, I won't use fondant in my decorations. The rainbow coloured unicorn mane and horn are all made of choux pastry! The ears are white chocolate but that's because it has to match the white chocolate glaze of the unicorn head.

I was intending to blog in a little more detail for this bake but my editor loved the unicorns so much she wanted this to be in the upcoming Deco Choux Pastries book. I could hear her excitement over the email exchange...Lol! She would rather we sacrifice one of the original designs in the book to make space for this entry.

And so, I can't really share how I made nearly perfect hemispheres for all of the twenty plus choux pastry cases that I baked and how to make the mane and horn out of choux pastry. But the good news is that Deco Choux Pastries is going to be published in May (hopefully) so the secret and techniques will be out in a few months time!

In the mean time you may refer to the recipe in the blog for Rilakkuma cream puffs for a Choux pastry and vanilla pastry cream recipe that you can use although I have made certain tweaks since my earlier attempts that I will include in the book. As the pastry case is coated with white chocolate, you may want to reduce the amount of sugar in the pastry cream by a third to half.

My friend requested for the unicorns but I made some extras which my kids and I ate. I filled a pastry case and left it in an air conditioned room for an hour. The pastry case remained crisp and complemented the smooth and creamy vanilla pastry cream very well! Although I would have preferred Choux pastry without white chocolate coating on the outside because I don't have a sweet tooth, I love the look of these unicorns!

My friend who had it a few days later said that the unicorns with pastry cream were yummy and pastry case remained crispy too! But I let her fill the cases only when she wanted to eat them. Different from the soggy choux pastries you often get from shops because they are usually pre-filled and left on display for hours in the fridge.

With love,
Phay Shing


No comments:

Post a Comment