Making this sweet cake made me really happy because the Baby My Melody is so sweet!
The cream light yellow base chiffon cake below is a 9-inch Vanilla Chiffon Cake. My friend said it was super yummy! As I was afraid the base chiffon cake colour would clash with the Melody (also cream colour), the base chiffon cake is not a reduced egg yolk version, and I added a few drops of natural Queen’s turmeric-based coloring to give it a tinge of sweet pale yellow.
Vanilla Chiffon Cake (9-inch chiffon tin)
7 egg yolks
89g vegetable oil
140g cake flour
12 ml vanilla extract
9 egg whites
1/4 tsp cream of tartar
1. Preheat oven to 160°C. Prepare a tray of water at the bottom of the oven (I used the lowest rack to bake the cake). *You may omit steam baking; I like to use it to control my oven temperature rise.
2. Beat egg yolks with sugar with whisk till pale yellow before stirring in oil, water and vanilla extract.
3. Add in sieved flour and whisk till no trace of flour found.
4. Meringue: Beat the egg whites with ¼ tsp cream of tartar till stiff peak, mixing in caster sugar in 2 additions.
5. Fold in the meringue gently into the batter 1/3 at a time.
6. Pour the batter into the chiffon tin from a height.
7. Gently tap the tin on table 3x to remove air bubbles
8. Bake the chiffon cake for 15 min at 160°C and then at 150°C for 10 mins and 140°C for 20 min, then 130°C for 15 min.
9. Invert immediately once out of the oven to cool
10. Unmould by hand after the cake is cool. Gently pull the cake from the sides of the tin at each angle and push the removable base up to unmould the sides. To unmould the cake from the base, gently lift up the cake from the base using hands, repeating this at each angle before turning the base over (see 'Hand Unmoulding Chiffon Cakes for a Smooth Finishing' video tutorial).
The pink My Melody is made by prepiping the white vanilla chiffon batter in a bowl, and then baking strawberry batter over it (similar to Hedgehog but replacing the cocoa powder with few drops of strawberry paste). The ears were cut out from strawberry chiffon similarly. The body required additional small round bowl cake and 4 cake pops (for limbs) using the same vanilla chiffon cake recipe.
Happy belated birthday to Renae!