Thursday 12 June 2014

Azuki Matcha TOPO Map Love Bundt Cake


The first time I saw this TOPO map love cake on Jozelyn's blog, I thought it was real cute! A cake with a TOPO map in every slice! :D She pointed me to Wendy's Table for 2 blog, which had a real pretty TOPO map love cake or Kek Alunan Kasih, and also Roz of Home Kreation which used fresh milk. 

Azuki and matcha is my favourite combination, so I decided to try a TOPO map butter cake with this yummy combination. I had a lot of fun with this one, layering the two batter. I largely referred to Wendy's blog and Roz of Home Kreation in adapting the recipe to azuki and matcha flavours and scaling it down to 3 eggs. I used the yummy azuki paste from Daiso that my hubby loves. I think it's the best kept secret around :).


Ingredients (makes two 5.5-inch bundt cakes)
150g butter
140g sugar (I reduced the sugar from the original recipe)
3 eggs
180g cake flour
1 tsp baking powder
80 ml fresh milk
2 tbsp matcha powder
40g azuki paste
Cocoa powder for creating the topo lines

Method
1. Preheat oven to 160°C. Grease and flour the bundt pans for easy removal.
2. Beat butter and sugar until pale and fluffy.
3. Beat in the eggs one by one, mixing well after each addition.
4. Sift ½ of the flour into the batter and beat on low speed until well-combined.
5. Add in the milk and mix until well-combined.
6. Sift the rest of flour into the mixture and beat on low speed until well-combined.
7. Divide the batter to two. Add matcha powder to one part and azuki paste to the other (left column picture).


8. Spoon a layer of matcha batter into the pan. Level it (right column, top picture).
9. Sift a thin layer of cocoa powder evenly over the layer (right column, middle picture).
10. Gently spoon a layer of azuki batter over the cocoa powder and level it. Repeat the sifting of cocoa powder.
11. Repeat layering with both batters, separated by a thin layer of cocoa powder, except for the top (right column, bottom picture).
12. Bake for 50 min or until toothpick comes out clean.
13. Cool for 10 min in the bundt pans. Remove the cakes after 10 min and leave to cool completely.



These were the bundt cakes with TOPO map patterns after cooling. The size of each cake is perfect as a present for a small family!


Cake is moist, fragrant, and really cute with geographical matcha-cocoa TOPO lines running across! I will probably bake this again when the kids are bigger and I need to teach them geography :D!

With love,
Susanne



2 comments:

  1. Hi, Susanne, I am glad that you like this topo map love cake! Thanks for the mention & linking up your post with LTU! Looking forward for more link up from you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jozelyn! Yes I find it so cute! Thanks for sharing the cake! :)

    ReplyDelete