Sunday, 14 July 2024

Pompompurin Lemon Bars

 This impromptu bake happened because I had extra egg yolks and lemons lying around!


I had exactly 4 extra yolks and 4 lemons to use up so it's about half the reference recipe I used from Serious Eats.
The only thing was I didn't want to end up having half an egg leftover from a bake that is trying to use up leftovers so I tweaked the ratios slightly to fit a pan size that happens to be slightly bigger than half the pan size in the reference recipe. So everything worked out well!

Although I made lemon bars before in the past over here for a sugar-free version, I prefer this recipe for two reasons. 1. The cookie crust remains crispy even after a few days due to icing sugar used instead of castor sugar. 2. There's no flour in the lemon layer so it's more like lemon custard.

Lemon Bars
Makes about 8 squares in 4x9" tray

Cookie base:
70g plain flour 
35g icing sugar
1/8 tsp salt
1 lemon zest
65g cold butter

🔸Blitz everything in blender until it resembles fine breadcrumbs
🔸Press into loaf pan lined with parchment paper overhanging off the edges for ease of lifting off the pan
🔸Bake at 180C for 22-25 min or until lightly browned

Lemon filling:
190g sugar
2 eggs
4 egg yolks
3 lemon zest
Pinch of salt
160g lemon juice (about 3.5-4 lemons)

🔸Whisk everything except lemon juice in a saucepan. Add lemon juice & whisk
🔸Whisk on low heat for 3 min till warm. Increase to med-low heat. Whisk until 77C & thickened
🔸Pour through a sieve onto baked cookie base
🔸Bake at 180C with foil covering tray. I used top heat only for 20min or until firm to avoid burning the cookie base
🔸Cool uncovered. Refrigerate covered for at least 1-2 hours before cutting into squares.
🔸Decorate with melted chocolate. I used my Pompompurin macaron template so I didn't have to pipe by freehand 🤭

Piping chocolate

I set the piped chocolate in the freezer for a few minutes before carefully using tweezers to place them on the bars.


The bars can be stored in the fridge for a few days.


with love,

Phay Shing

4 comments:

  1. For fellow garden enthusiasts, Just Amazing Discounts is a great place to find deals on gardening tools and supplies. Thanks for sharing this charming tale!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These Pompompurin Lemon Bars are absolutely adorable and look so delicious! I love how creative and detailed your designs are—it’s almost too cute to eat. Saving Cents Together

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an exceptionally fun and creative topic for anyone passionate about artisanal candy-making, cute food art, and advanced baking techniques! Examining how to use egg white powder to structure playful marshmallow designs shaped like popular plush characters offers a brilliant focal point for community discussions among food enthusiasts. Specialist baking boards and recipe review sites are always fantastic places to swap decorating ideas and kitchen tips. Whenever you need a short break from browsing article feeds and culinary libraries, feel free to visit: https://royals-tiger.de

    ReplyDelete