Saturday 14 October 2023

Monkeys with Apple Tree Macaron Ferris Wheel

I have an interesting request and challenge for a monkey themed macaron ferris wheel bake. This was what I made!


It's my first attempt at changing the ferris wheel design while retaining the working mechanism. I also made use a stiffer macaron batter to create textures for the tree foliage and trunk. I used my default Swiss Meringue method recipe but in two ways for this bake. I used all the egg whites for the Swiss meringue for the ferris wheel frame, small parts and base to create sturdier shells as well as create the textures by underfolding the batter. I used part of the egg whites to mix with sifted dry ingredients to form an almond paste, and used the rest for the Swiss meringue to make the bananas and monkeys as I wanted the macaron shells to have a smoother finishing.



I used royal icing and edible marker for the details. Have a look at the decorated macaron shells! I made them concurrently with the Charizard carousel bake!

I always make extras in case of accidental uglification or butter fingers


Mango flavour was requested. As this creation consist of some load-bearing parts and parts that do not need to bear load, I filled them differently. I used a firm and fairly low water content mango white chocolate buttercream as the base, but include homemade mango jam for pieces that can afford to be softer.


Mango jam
Ingredients:
250g mango flesh, cubed
25g sugar (or to taste)
pinches of salt
1-2 tsp lemon juice

Steps:
1. Place all ingredients in saucepan and cook until 50% of original weight. For a drier jam if you want to reduce water content further, which I did for jam in the ferris wheel base and wheel itself, I reduced it further to 30% of original weight but left the portion for monkeys and bananas at 50% of original weight. You may puree the mango but it's optional. Cool completely before using. You may prepare in advance and store in the fridge or freezer.

Mango white chocolate buttercream
Ingredients:
300g White chocolate, finely chopped or use chips
60g unsalted butter or vegetable shortening
1/8 tsp salt
45g Freeze dried mango powder (you may add more but I didn't want to soften the structure too much)
1/2 tsp vanilla extract

Steps:
1. Place everything in microwave-safe bowl and melt the chocolate. Mix well.  You may use double boiling method too if you wish.

2. Place bowl in a cold water bath and use electric mixer to beat until light and fluffy. Remove from cold water bath once the buttercream starts to firm up, continue beating until desired fluffiness. You may also choose to let the mixture firm up slowly at room temperature for half an hour before transferring into piping bag.




Here's the reel of the assembly and the ferris wheel in spinning action! 

https://www.instagram.com/reel/Cyam2-syoAz/?igshid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

If you would like to learn how to create macaron ferris wheels that is as sturdy as what I made and spins as smoothly, do join me for my Penguin family Christmas Carnival masterclass. I have both online and studio versions. Studio participants get to have access to online class material free of charge! Online class is ready for viewing anytime and there's no expiry date.


with love,

Phay Shing

No comments:

Post a Comment