Friday 18 October 2019

Cinderella on Fluttershy Chocolate Drip Cake

This was made for a little girl who is a fan of both Cinderella and My Little Pony!

Cinderella riding Fluttershy on top of a dark chocolate drip cake! 

I had to come up with my own template for this creation as you can't find this from the Internet. Only one giant cake topper was needed for the cake but for complex characters such as this, I usually make at least one extra in case of damage due to butter fingers. I used the Swiss method recipe to make this as I was working on another bake concurrently. Swiss and Italian methods are great when you have to work with many colours and complex shapes as the meringue takes. Longer time to break down. I just haven't revisited the Italian method for some time because I am lazy to make the syrup 🤣.

Piped batter

Decorating the shells with a mix of  Royal icing and edible markers. You can see the rest of the characters I was working on as well. 

Since the giant macaron is a cake topper for a chocolate cake, I filled it with dark chocolate ganache.


I used this recipe to make the chocolate cake here but did things slightly differently. I cut the sponge into 6" diameter and used a 1:1  ratio of dark chocolate : cream for the drip. I added a little charcoal powder to deepen the drip colour a little and added about 1-2 tsp of light corn syrup as well to give the drip a higher shine. I frosted the sides with whipped dark chocolate ganache and omitted the whipped salted caramel ganache.

I love the look of this cake! *bling bling*

Just some tip about macaron cake topper on such a cake. Do use a long wooden skewer to make holes in the cake where the cakepop sticks on the cake topper are supposed to go. Carefully insert the cake topper by handling the cakepop sticks. DO NOT press on the macaron itself to insert the topper as you may accidentally damage it. I pack the cake topper and cake separately as moisture released from the cake may turn the macarons soggy.

With love,
Phay Shing

6 comments:

  1. Hello! I've always wanted to know, when you thaw/bring out the macarons to room temperature, will the royal icing on the macarons sweat once they are decorated and matured in the fridge? How can I prevent that? Hope to hear from you soon! ��

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Wendy, same way as how I make sure the macaron shell surfaces don't sweat when I take them out of the fridge. I always store macarons in airtight condition in the fridge and place a piece of paper towel inside the sealed jumbo zip lock bag to absorb any moisture. When you take the macarons out, always leave at room temperature for 15 to 20 min before opening the airtight bag or box. If you expose anything cold from the fridge to ambient room temperature, condensation happens immediately on the surface so by leaving the airtight bag at room temperature for 15 to 20 min first before opening, you prevent this condensation from happening on the macaron shells and Royal icing parts

      Delete
    2. Thank you for your reply and information! Always learning something new everyday! Thank you! And also, to compare between swiss and Italian method, which one do you think is more stable and newbie-friendly?

      Delete
    3. They are both stable with perhaps italian being marginally more so but for newbies, Swiss may be less technically challenging as there is no need to multi task to monitor two things at the same time. Swiss can also make a smaller batch than Italian so less painful on the pocket if the bake happens to be a fail. If you do use the Swiss method recipe from the blog (pastel animal train macaron post), please do take time to whisk egg whites and sugar over double boiler as any undissolved sugar will mean the meringue won't work. Starting with room temperature water instead of simmering water in the saucepan will help to ensure you don't heat things up too fast

      Delete
  2. One-off the best cake for a little girl who is a fan of both Cinderella and My Little Pony. I loved it and I will share this much more. Thank you so much for this cake.

    ReplyDelete