Wednesday 24 February 2016

Boy and Girl Owl Mini Brown Sugar Cookies

Very rarely this happens but it did. I have two similar requests around the same time for owl cookies so here they are!


This means that I had to make double the usual number of cookies for a single request (usually between 20-30). But since these cookies are really small, the quantity I actually made for each request was double the number requested (I only had a small cookie cutter so I felt bad about offering teeny cookies)! I also made a few extras for my kids so it was a whooping total of 115 owls!! The cutting of cookies from cookie dough was easy...

Using an egg shaped cutter about 3cm tall to cut out the owl cookie base.

Freshly baked!

... But to ice all 115 of them was no joke!

It took me two and a half days of intensive icing to complete.

Day 1! Only managed pink owl body base

Day 2! Left fine details to add

Day 3! Finally done! My hands were unsteady by the end of it!

Since individual or packing in pairs was requested, I still had lots of repetitive work to do...

Finally all packed!

Recipe for brown sugar cookies and royal icing can be found here. The recipe is very forgiving and I tend to overbake a little so that the cookies don't soften too much after icing. As these cookies are small (3cm), I  baked at 160°C for 13-15 min. Use your eye to judge for doneness. When cookies are cooled, they should feel firm when you press with your finger. If they are still soft, bake for 5 minutes more or until the cookies feel firm when you press the surface gently. Nicely baked brown sugar cookies meant for icing should be nicely browned (not burnt) and firm. My brown sugar cookies always get rave reviews.

My kids seldom get to eat nicely iced brown sugar cookies as the icing work is very involved and I don't make extras. But since the owls are simple, I decided to make a few for them to enjoy :)


With love,
Phay Shing



2 comments:

  1. I've been looking for a mini owl option. I think this is exactly what I need. Maybe not 115 though! Nice work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you 😊. Glad you found this helpful!

      Delete