Wednesday 28 May 2014

Azuki "Hidden Rainbow Hearts" Chiffon Cake


I had been rather busy with family lately, and almost forgot that the next day was 28th May, our wedding anniversary. My little baby Charissa was also going to be 3 months on the same day! I decided to combine rainbows (inspired by Charissa) and hearts (for hubby) into a chiffon cake. I choose azuki flavour as it was my hubby's favourite.

I made the chiffon rainbows according to Hidden Rainbow Strawberry Chiffon for Baby Shower and cut out hearts from the slices of the rainbows. Then I baked these into an azuki chiffon cake according to Valentine's Day Hearts-in-all-directions Strawberry Chiffon Cake, an earlier cake I made for Valentines' Day.

Azuki Chiffon Cake
3 egg yolks
20g sugar
38g vegetable oil
42ml azuki milk (32 g azuki in 10 ml warmed milk)
60g cake flour

4 egg whites
45g sugar
1/4 tsp cream of tartar

1. Preheat oven to 160°C. Prepare a tray of water at the bottom of the oven (I used the lowest rack to bake the cake).
2. Beat egg yolks with sugar with whisk till pale yellow before stirring in oil and azuki milk.
3. Next add in sieved flour and whisk till no trace of flour is found.
4. Meringue: Beat the egg whites with ¼ tsp cream of tartar till stiff peak, mixing in caster sugar in 2 additions.
5. Fold in the meringue gently into the batter 1/3 at a time.
6. Cover the rainbow at the bottom and side, and the rainbow hearts in centre and cover with batter.
7. Run a chopstick around the sides of the hearts to ensure there are no trapped bubbles.
8. Bake the cake for 15 min at 160°C then 35 min at 150°C.
9. Invert immediately once out of the oven to cool.
10. Unmould after the cake is cool.

I always have a lot of joy making cakes for the family. This year we couldn't do much because of 3 kids but it was a simple but meaningful celebration. The cake was made with lots of love and my hubby said the cake was very nice :)


With love,
Susanne




No comments:

Post a Comment