This is a tongue-in-cheek creation I made for a friend (she's a v talented singer btw!) who requested this cake for her hubby's birthday! :D What does it look like? Her son picked out the boxers for his dad during their shopping trip together LOL!
I piped the Superman 'S' using the method similar to Spiderman chiffon cake but using an orange chiffon cake recipe. In addition, I have replaced additional cake flour with red yeast powder which acts both to colour the batter as well as to make it less runny for piping. Remember to invert the template for the Superman 'S'! You can do this easily in a program like Paint. Thank God for the timely reminder.
Orange Chiffon Cake for Superman Boxers (for 6-inch tray or bowl)
2 egg yolks
26g vegetable oil
27 ml orange juice
40g cake flour
Red yeast powder
Meringue for piping:
1 egg white
1/6 tsp cream of tartar
Meringue for cake
3 egg whites
30g sugar/ 30
1/4 tsp cream of tartar
1. Preheat oven to 160°C.
2. Beat egg yolks with sugar with whisk till pale yellow before stirring in oil, water and orange juice (I omitted orange zest here so that the patterns will not be patchy).
3. Next add in sieved flour and whisk till no trace of flour is found. Scoop out 4 tsp for piping red and add 1/3-1/2 tsp of red yeast powder. Divide the remaining batter 2:1 for blue:yellow cake.
4: Whip up the meringue for piping and egg white. Scoop over 9 tbsp to red batter. Fold in gently, pipe superman 'S' and bake for 1.5 min.
5. Whip up the meringue for cake. Divide 2:1 for the blue:yellow batter. Gently fold in 1/3 at a time respectively.
6. Fill the spaces in between the red 'S' with yellow batter and the space outside the red diamond with blue batter. Fill the rest of the space with more red batter.
7. Gently tap the tray on table 3x to remove air bubbles.
8. Bake the layer cake for 15 min at 160°C.
9. Unmould after the cake is cool.
I outlined the Superman logo using a toothpick dipped in charcoal powder in water. This is the tedious part of the bake! Orange chiffon cake was used as the base chiffon cake so as to resemble skin colour. I have shared the orange chiffon cake recipe for 17 cm tin previously. It is still one of my favorites because of the orange zest! In addition, I baked another red layer chiffon cake (2 egg recipe like above) to make the lining of the boxers as well as a Superman belt at the bottom of the cake. All these were joined to the cake using melted marshmallows, including the boxers :). Ahh.. and I hid some marshmallows inside for the kids!
Thank God celebration was great though the waitress mistook the birthday "boy" for the little boy because it was Superman :p.